Newcastle Jets recruit Nigel Boogaard isn't fazed about the A-League club's turbulent last few months.
After all, it's half the reason why the former Adelaide United defender signed for them.
"I could have easily stayed in Adelaide and been part of a semi-successful team and a team that's quite balanced and has been established for a few years," said Boogaard, after his first training session as a Jets player on Monday.
"But I saw the challenge to come back here, not only to be back home and be in this football community but the challenge of being part of a team that really is pushing to make finals and hopefully bring back that success that they had earlier on in the A-League."
Boogaard, a Newcastle junior, said he had always hoped to play for his hometown club but was unsure if he'd ever get the opportunity.
It finally arrived in February, when he signed a three-year deal with the Jets, who at that point were still under the ownership of mining magnate Nathan Tinkler and coached by Phil Stubbins.
The 28-year-old decided to honour his commitment when FFA terminated Newcastle's A-League licence and took over the club a month ago.
All players were offered like-for-like contracts and only two, Jacob Pepper and Scott Neville, opted to move elsewhere, both signing for Western Sydney.
Boogaard said he was yet to meet new coach Scott Miller, but his deputy Jean Paul de Marigny, fresh from helping steer Melbourne Victory to the A-League double, took Monday's session.
"It's exciting. Scott's had that vast experience over there in the Premier League, he's young and he seems energetic from the interviews we've seen so far," Boogaard said.
"JP's been around the traps, he's got a lot of experience.
"He's off the back of a premiership-winning team last year with Melbourne Victory and he brings a great deal of experience to us."
Boogaard will on Wednesday front a Jets community forum as the FFA continues to seek input from fans and stakeholders over the club's future.